From: gcc-help-owner@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gcc-help-owner@xxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Burt Bicksler
Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 4:28 PM
To: gcc-help@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Different object code generated each time file is compiled

Hi,

We are build for a MIPS32 target using a GCC cross compiler, and we have
two object files that are always different each time they are built with
no changes to the source code.  We have used the -E switch to generate
pre-processor output and compared the pre-processor output from each run
against each other.

They pre-processor output from each run is the same.  So it appears for
these two source files that the issue with the object code being
generated differing comes from the compiler.  It is the object files
before linking that are different (as well as the resulting final
binaries but we have tracked it back to the object files emitted by the
compiler as the first point where the files differ.

It is only two source files that we see this difference with and it is
always 4 bytes in each object file that is different.

Has anyone encountered anything like this before?

Note that the resulting code always seems to execute just fine.  This
would not be an issue except that we have a requirement to be able to
validate that the code produced from a given revision of the source code
always produces a binary identical executable, and this issue is causing
some head scratching.

Thanks,
Burt