Re: output question

Hi jairo supelano,

> is the object output the same for all platforms?

No, it varies by platform.  It can even vary on the same platform, depending
on compiler flags.

> as in 'is gcc system independent, at least in pre-makefile stage'?

I'm not sure what that question means.

> i am asking because if that is the case, it would mean i can code in any gcc,
> test for all systems at once, and once i compile (to object files), i dont
> need to recompile or test in all systems, just make file.

Some day that may be possible.  But not yet.

It could be that your programming language (I assume is C, since you said
'gcc') is not assisting you with your desired goal.

For example, perhaps the general purpose programming languages Java, Perl,
Ruby or Python may be better suited.  Those languages (Ruby too, pretty
soon) compile to bytecode (not object code), which has the property you are
looking for.

HTH,
--Eljay