Re: GCC Binary CD Question

Porter, Doug wrote:
I'm a Systems Analyst & network administrator in a Windows environment and have almost no experience with Linux beyond the basic Linux installation process.  I'm trying to help a few circuit design engineers in my company set up circuit simulation software on Intel 64-bit Redhat Linux ES version 5 , and this software requires a C compiler to work efficiently.  Neither I nor the design engineers have experience with Linux.  My apologies for my ignorance in these matters, but is there a CD for the binary version of a GCC C compiler that I could buy for this hardware & operating system?  Figuring out how to install a C compiler is likely going to take more time than I can reasonably afford, but I'm trying to help out some very frustrated users on a project I have no direct responsibility for and am reluctant to leave them to flounder on their own.

Your OS distribution should already have a C compiler. You just need to install it. The vendor could probably tell you the exact steps needed.

On my Fedora 8 and 9 systems which are somewhat similar to RHEL the relevant package is "gcc"