Re: "relocation overflow" and "relocation truncated to fit errors" for Fortran application with g77 compiler

sameer sinha wrote:

> Can you please tell me what options I can use while compiling thse
> kind of codes. Sometimes, ulimit command or -m32 option  worked but
> when I run the executable it simply dumps the core. Please suggest me
> what can I do to get rid of these problems?.

First note that g77 is officially unsupported, having been replaced by
gfortran starting with the 4.0.0 release (which was more than 3 years
ago.)  gfortran was still immature for the 4.0 and 4.1 series but
starting with 4.2 and especially now with 4.3 it really has stabilized.
Recent versions of gfortran support virtually all g77 features, and
certainly contain countless bugfixes.

But in general the reason you get the truncated relocations is that the
default x86_64 code model is 'small' which constrains all code and data
to the lower 2GB address space.  If you want to overcome that limitation
you'll need to use the 'medium' or 'large' model.  Do note however that
support for the 'large' model was not implemented until the 4.3 series,
and also that the 'medium' model was significantly revamped in the 4.1
series, adding the ability to link small model libraries to medium model
code.  In other words, you should probably consider using a modern
version of gfortran (in conjunction with a modern version of the
assembler and linker, i.e. binutils) if you intend to use these
features.

Brian