Re: netmask access from a c program

"Vardhan, Sundara (GE Infra, Energy)" <sundara.vardhan@xxxxxx> writes:

> Is there any way to access netmask given the IP address from within
> c program. I have an ip address for which I need to get the netmask
> and broadcast addresses and also set route for them. Your help will
> be greatly appreciated.

This is not a question about gcc.  This is a question about the
specific operating system that you are using.  You should direct this
type of question to a mailing list for your operating system.

That said: these days it doesn't make sense to ask for the netmask and
broadcast address of an arbitrary IP address.  The only way to know
that information is to ask a machine running the local net that the IP
address is on.

If you happen to be using GNU/Linux or a Unix variant, I recommend
getting the book "Unix Network Programming."  It will tell you what
you need to know about this sort of question.

Ian