Getting process's memory usage

Hi

I need to retrieve memory usage for a running process, the last
biggest size before it finishes. Top only shows the current size, and
to get the last one, I need to keep watching, and if it is a long
running process, that's hard to get its last biggest size.

I was advised to use getrusage, it gives me the time usage correct,
however the memory usage (physical and virtual) are always zero

I found that linux keep process info in /proc/pid/mem or something
like that, but I have to be admin to read this folder, is there a way
using the process id, to get its size in memory before I cleanup and
free the memory allocated?!

That is in ansi C,

I appreciate your help a lot,

--