Re: GCC and fdump-translation-unit

pingu219@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I'm a student whose currently trying to build a refactoring tool for C
> and I thought it might be best to dump the intermediate representation
> of the source code straight from the gcc compiler frontend. However
> the tokens seem to be missing stuff like full postion information and
> from what I've heard function bodies aren't dumped either except with
> g++ and C++ though this might be outdated info.

They all should be there.  However, you don't have everything in the
dumps; that's not really what the dumps are for.

> The tree seems to have been optimised and had alot of folding by the
> time gcc dumps it so I was wondering if there was a way of getting a
> complete, pre-optimised tree from gcc maybe via a commandline argument
> or if there's a suitable API.

We call fold() a lot in the front end, partly in order to reduce
the size of the tree, but also so things like case labels have integer
values.

> I also keep hearing about how gcc's
> frontend is intermingled with the backend though I'm not sure what
> exactly is meant by that.

Not any more.  We now have a clean split between the front-end, which
generates trees, and the back-end.  gcc used to parse a statement at
a time and generate RTL immediately but it's been a long time since
we did that.

> It would be great to hear your thoughts on the utility of gcc for
> source code analysis by an external tool.

Andrew.