Re: error: missing terminating " character while modifying md file

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 7:09 PM, David Daney <ddaney@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> David Daney wrote:
>>
>> Omar wrote:
>>>
>>>  Ok, so after weeks of reading and looking at multiple .md files, I
>>> felt ready to give it a try and decided to create some define_split's
>>> on my own.
>>>  I created a define_split RTL pattern which included this condition:
>>>  "reload_completed
>>>  && GET_CODE (operands[1]) == MEM
>>>  && GET_CODE (XEXP (operands[1], 0)) == PLUS"
>>>
>>> When I try to compile it I get:
>>> ../../gcc/config/c816/c816.md:36  error: missing terminating " character
>>> ../../gcc/config/c816/c816.md:37: error: stray '\' in program
>>>
>>> If instead, I place the condition all in a single line:
>>>  "reload_completed && GET_CODE (operands[1]) == MEM && GET_CODE (XEXP
>>> (operands[1], 0)) == PLUS"
>>> then gcc is happy.
>>>
>>> I have been searching the web for hours now, but I have not been able
>>> to find what is causing this.
>>> Does anyone have a suggestion on what might be causing this issue?
>>>

>> It has to be a valid C string.  You get that error for the same reason
>> that you get it from this program:
>
> Well that must not be correct, please disregard it.  There are multi line
> conditions all over the place.
>
> Sorry for this mis-information.
>
> David Daney

Yes, I followed the convention used on other ports...
That's why I am puzzled with this. I do not think there is an issue
with specific piece of code, I am thinking
that it might be related with me using an outdated tool (gcc?) or
script interpreter (sh?). I might be completly out of touch
but that is my best guess at this moment.

 -Omar