Trying to build gcc on MacOS

I could use some help with my recent attempts to build gcc 4.0.1 on an
Intel Mac.  I'm
experiencing a failure during the link of libgcc having to do with the ld
linker not supporting -arch i686.

ld:  unknown/unsupported architecture name for: -arch i686
/usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
make[2]: *** [libgcc_s.dylib] Error 1
make[1]: *** [libgcc.a] Error 2

It looks like the invocation of a long xgcc command is somehow passing -arch
i686 to the ld linker (or libtools is adding this itself.)  I have been
trying to figure out how to stop this from happening.  My machine is a Intel
MacBook Pro running Leopard (upgraded from an original tiger install).  The
'arch' command reports i386, and it appears that ld (as provided by Apple)
does not understand -arch i686.  Still libtool seems to be trying to feed it
that.

macintosh:gcc-4.0.1-build bobw$ type ld
ld is hashed (/usr/bin/ld)
macintosh:gcc-4.0.1-build bobw$ ld -v
@(#)PROGRAM:ld  PROJECT:ld64-77
macintosh:gcc-4.0.1-build bobw$ ld -i686
ld: unknown option: -i686
macintosh:gcc-4.0.1-build bobw$ ld -i386
ld: unknown option: -i386
macintosh:gcc-4.0.1-build bobw$

A quick check of the object files built thus far in the gcc compile shows
them to all be i386, not i686 (using the 'file' command), and I've tried
several config tweaks, but my knowledge of libtool is limited.

What I'm using for the configure script is:
../gcc-4.0.1/configure \
        --enable-languages=c,c++ \
        --build=i686-apple-darwin9 \
        --with-arch=i386 \