RE: GCC 4.3 on Power6 running AIX 5.3

Mark Erle <mark@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am interested in using GCC 4.3 on an IBM PowerPC machine running AIX

> 5.3. I didn't see a successful build of GCC 4.3 such as
> powerpc[64]-ibm-aix5.3, only powerpc[64]-unknown-linux-gnu.
Could/should
> I follow the instructions on the page "Installing GCC: Testing" to
> download and test GCC 4.3 on this platform? I've never done this
before,
> so I'm not sure if I would be doing redundant work or if this would be

> beneficial to the GCC effort.

I'd go ahead and make the attempt, as what you've found looks like a
generic SuSE / Red Hat compilation for the Linux implementation on IBM
hardware, and you're bound to run into library trouble mixing AIX and
Linux-built code.

That said, I'm having loads of fun (not) trying to get 4.3 to build on
AIX 6.1; it's not quite as straightforward as I'd hoped. I found a
build of 4.2.3 here: http://www.perzl.org/aix/index.php?n=Main.Gcc
which makes reference to patches, etc. being applied for an AIX 6.1
build of that release, and I'm working under the assumption that
things will require some tweaking for 4.3 as well (esp. since it won't
build 'out of the box' as it were)...

So IMHO it's worth it, others of course will undoubtedly know more...

Rob