FW: RE: compiling libg2c.a library

Bob,

Not sure if following this error message will give you success.  Are you
attempting to make a .so when this happens ?
If you get this error on a simple 'hello world' program, then the issue
may be a bit deeper.  Just a thought.

Some ideas that may help you:

You are running a rather modern kernel (2.6.x), but compiling a very old
version of g77 (3.2.3?).  Support for g77 was stopped several years ago
when gcc-4.0 came out.  If your code runs under gfortran, the path to
success might be shorter.

First thing I would do is get the g77 package from your vendor
http://mirror.its.uidaho.edu/pub/fedora/linux/core/5/x86_64/os/Fedora/RP
MS/compat-gcc-32-g77-3.2.3-55.fc5.x86_64.rpm .  Then I would find the
applicable source RPM and install it and rebuild.  This should build; it
did for someone at redhat at least once before.  Then I would 'butcher'
up that source.  An added advantage with this technique is you end up
with an rpm that can be deployed to co-workers with minimal magic.

If that doesn't work, or has problems, I would next get the last gcc-3.X
tarball from gcc.gnu.org. ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/gnu/gcc/gcc-3.4.6

This should compile and run with minimal problems; and if you need to
make something a dso you should be able to butcher the makefile as you
suggested.  I will caution you that 99.999% of all users of g77 never
mess with this kind of thing so unless you are doing something
sophisticated, the problem is probably elsewhere.

HTH. If not, please reply and we will do our best to assist.

Regards,
Bud davis

"Buy the ticket, take the ride."
                   Hunter S. Thompson