Re: Re: Integral conversions in C/C++

On Tue 22/04/08  4:46 PM , Christian Böhme monodhs@xxxxxx sent:
> > "The correct result"?  The correct result is whatever
> the standard
> > says it is.
>
> However counter-intuitive to anyone knowing what linear algebra is it
> may possibly seem.  That's also olds.

No, as I pointed out there are counter-examples to your interpretation of "the
way things should be."  If you apply the conversions out of order of precedence
you get undefined behaviour plain and simple.  You're refusal to acknowledge that
notwithstanding, that's the way things are.

And C is not a linear algebra language.  It's also not French.  So are you next
going to complain about the lack of accented keywords?  It's also not Pascal, so
are you gonna complain about the lack of unit support?

> > Right, so it sounds as though you do understand the
> standard.
>
> I do actually understand a lot more than that.  What gave it away ?
> Is it my pointing to the actual standards text and the insinstence on
> doing so for the responders to prove their arguments ?

The problem is I could read you the entire ISO C spec, and you'd continue to
refuse to acknowledge it.  So it's not worth digging things up.  The way
expressions are parsed in C is well known.  Counter-examples to your
interpretation are easy to produce.  What more do you want?

> > What, then, is your point?
>
> All in the above.

No, you're just a troll.  Even when it's plain as day that your interpretation is
wrong, you continue to press on the point.  This is not a C standards mailing
list.  If you want a hand in the next ISO C draft, then contact them, not us.

I don't know what you had hoped to accomplish here.  GCC is not wrong in the code
it produces [in this case], your code is buggy in that you interpreted the
standard wrong.

Tom