Re: Suddenly I need GMP and MPFR?

On Apr 18, 2008, at 1:01 PM, Brian Dessent wrote:

See <http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.3/changes.html>. gcc 4.2.x only required
them if you enabled gfortran, but 4.3.0 and on require them
unconditionally.

Thank you; I should've checked that first.

I'm not sure I understand how GCC uses these libraries. If I'm cross- compiling for AVR, shouldn't the library be built on AVR? This creates a new chicken-and-egg problem, doesn't it?

If I build GMP/MPFR for Mac OS X using Xcode (assuming it'll even build; apparently there are issues with Apple's GCC), that will build libraries that execute on OS X/i386. Is that the only capacity in which GMP/MPFR are used by GCC? Or does it attempt to generate target code that uses it?

Thanks!

--
Rick