Re: Ouch! Install size went from 18M to 900M.

John Morrison wrote:

> Looks like Multilib was the major difference.  The 2.95.2 build
> responded with ".;" while the 4.2.0 build responded with 8 libraries.
>
> I'm about to try a build with --disable-multilib and see what happens.
>
> I just needed some hints on where to look.

If you don't build multilibs then you need to ensure that the default
configuration matches your use case.  Multilibbing is a convenience that
builds a number of versions of the libraries so that the correct one can
be chosen at link time based on the options used.  So for example if you
compile and link with -msoft-float then it will know to link your code
with the libgcc or libstdc++ that was also built with -msoft-float.

But if you disable multilib support then those support libraries will
only be built once, and so the options used during the gcc build have to
be compatible with the options you eventually plan to use with the
toolchain.  You can set those defaults using --with-float=hard|soft,
--with-cpu=arch, or --with-tune=arch.

Alternatively, according to the docs some targets give you fine grained
control over disabling individual multilib variants, so that would also
be something to consider instead of throwing out multilibs entirely.  It
looks like for powerpc you can --disable-$foo for $foo in aix64,
pthread, softfloat, powercpu, powerpccpu, powerpcos, biendian, sysv,
aix.

Brian