Re: Library libbackend.a

James Allsopp wrote:

> I'm looking for a library called libbackend.a, produced when gcc is
> compiled. I need it to install g95, which I need because a program I need
> to install complains about gfortran. I'm using gcc-4.2.3 on an up to date
> gentoo install. Any help would be really gratefully received!

libbackend.a will be in the build tree after successfully building gcc.
It doesn't get installed out of the tree when you install gcc because
it's not intended to be a an actual library, and you won't find it
anywhere other than by building gcc.  It's just a temporary convenience
for linking the individual gcc subcompilers (cc1, cc1plus, et cetera)
and it's superfluous once the gcc build is finished.

Brian