Target specific behaviour

It seems it is not possible to have gcc behave as a cross compilerwithout compiling it as one. So I was wondering: what is there in GCC(except generating the actual assembler instructions) that is specificfor the target that GCC was configured for?
I am using a gcc that is configured as a normal compiler, but it'sfront end is used for compiling C code for another architecture. Ihave used options "-nostdlib -nostdinc" and specified replacementinclude paths. The size of types like "int" and the endianness areidentical for both native and target architectures. Is the onlydifference that is left the ABI for the target architecture? Where isthe ABI specified in the gcc sources?
If you are wondering why I am asking this, refer to this message:http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2008-February/012653.html

Thanks,Kevin André