Re: dead code identification

Mark Hampton wrote:
On Wednesday 13 February 2008 17:26, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
Mark Hampton wrote:
I would like to identify dead/redundant code that is being optimized away
by gcc. Is there a way to have gcc report the line number associated with
this code ?
I guess someone should point out that some commercial compilers (Sun's
comes to mind) issue warnings for unreachable code. IMO this would make
a nice improvement to gcc.

Thanks for that - I had not thought of using "unreachable code" as the search term :

-Wunreachable-code
    Warn if the compiler detects that code will never be executed.

So it does seem gcc supports this.

The warning seems to be pretty lousy. It reports on things that are clearly reachable.