Re: statically linked gcc executables

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008, Ted Byers wrote:

 Once I make the decision to
upgrade my tools, I don't waste further time on the
old ones.

Yup. In all the words, these are the ones that best describe the
unavoidable difference.

You can decide what tools you will use, you can afford to abandon old
branches, we can't.

That choice of tools use for us is largely determine by what phase of
the various product lifecycles they on.

Typically some of the team will be on the final stages of a release
cycle, I'm _never_ permitted to even touch their toolset.

Some of the team will be cutting new code for a future release. I will
be feeding them the latest distro and toolchain.

Some of those guys will be pulled back to fix bugs on and do patch
releases on older releases of products. They must have the old toolset
that can live on the latest distro, but can still build the old code.

Sometimes up to two to three versions back! As I've said elsewhen in
this forum... reality sucks.

The guy in the latest Dr. Dobbs who is raving about the concept of
virtualization understands exactly where I'm at!

http://drdobbs.com/development-tools/205917147

PO Box 1645 Christchurch                Email : john.carter@xxxxxxxxxx
New Zealand