Re: statically linked gcc executables

--- Angelo Leto <angleto@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm working on applications which are data critical,
> so when I change
> a library on the system there is the risk that
> results may be
> different, so I create a repository with the
> critical libraries, and I
> upgrade the libraries on repository only when it is
> needed and
> independently from the system libraries (I do this
> in order to upgrade
> the productivity tools and their related libraries
> without interacting
> with the libraries linked by my application).
> Obviously when I change
> the compiler I obtain different results on my
> applications, so my idea
> is to create a "development package" which includes
> my critical
> libraries and also the compiler in order to obtain
> the same result
> (always using the same optimizations flags) on  my
> application also
> when I'm compiling on different Linux installations.

This would make me nervous.  If you program gives
different results if you use different tool chains,
that suggests to me that either your program is broken
or the results you're obtaining are affected by bugs
in the libraries you're using.

You're half right.  If your program uses library X,
and  that library has a subtle bug in the function
you're using, then the result you get using a
different library will be different.  The fix is not
to ensure that you use the same library all the time,
but to ensure your test suite is sufficiently well
developed that you can detect such a bug, and use a
different function (even if you have to write it
yourself) that routinely gives you provably correct
answers.

To illustrate, I generally work with number crunching
related to risk assessment.  My programs had better
give me identical results regardless of whether I use
gcc or MS Visual C++ or Intel's compiler, or whatever
other tool might be tried, and on whatever platform.
I have written code to do numeric integration, compute
the eigenstructure of general matrices, &c.  In each
case, there are well defined mathematical properties
that must be true of the result, and I construct a
test suite that, for example, will apply my
eigensystem calculation code to tens of millions of
random general square matrices (random values and
random size of matrix), and test the result.  My code,
then, is provably correct if it consistently provides
mathematically correct results, and these results will
be the same regardless of the platform and tool chain
used because the mathematics of the problem do not
depend on these things.  Even if you're dealing with
numerically unstable systems (such as a dynamic system
that produces chaos), it ought to give identical
results for identical input.  Something is wrong if it
doesn't, and the fix isn't to ensure the program is
executed always with binaries created from the same
toolchain.  It is to figure out precisely why so you
can fix the program.  Whether the bug is in my program
or in a library I am using, if I do not take
corrective action, my program remains buggy, and I
have yet to see a situation where a program that is
correct gives different results when compiled using
different tools.

I am sorry to say that if one has to resort to the
practices you describe to ensure the same results by
ensuring the same libraries are used, then I would not
consider trusting the program at all.  Rather, use of
such practices suggests QA code for the program is
inadequate to ensure correct results.  I certainly
would not tolerate a situation where I get different
trajectories from a numeric integration, or a
different eigensystem from a given matrix, simply
because I used a different library to compile the
program.  If such a situation arose, then one of the
versions, if not both, is giving mathematically
incorrect results!

HTH

Ted