Re: Compile gcc from source on a 64 bit OS ?

> Dear GCC developers/experts:
>
> I need to compile gcc from source on a 64 bit linux OS (Ubuntu and
> OpenSuSE).  After scanning through the installation procedures and
> manual, it is not clear to me how to do this on a 64 bit OS (default
> seems to be for 32 bit OS, using -m32).  It will be highly appreciated
> if you can shed some light on this.  Thanks!

http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.2/changes.html

New Targets and Target Specific Improvements
IA-32/x86-64
-mtune=generic can now be used to generate code running well on common x86
chips. This includes AMD Athlon, AMD Opteron, Intel Pentium-M, Intel Pentium
4 and Intel Core 2.
-mtune=native and -march=native will produce code optimized for the host
architecture as detected using the cpuid instruction.
Added a new command-line option -fstackrealign and and __attribute__
((force_align_arg_pointer)) to realign the stack at runtime. This allows
functions compiled with a vector-aligned stack to be invoked from legacy
objects that keep only word-alignment.

I'm in the 64-bit Solaris world and a -m64 would work neatly.
Maybe even some -xarch or cpu specific target options.
Then again, you're in the linux land where anything can and will happen.
Are you thinking of working with GCC 4.2.2 or GCC 4.2.1 ? I have yet
to see GCC 4.2.2 build cleanly on a 64-bit OS but GCC 4.2.1 does.

see the bottom of http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.2/buildstat.html where there are
a few x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu entries.

Merry Christmas.

Dennis