Re: Question On Testsuite 12/22/07

Thomas Dineen wrote:

> Snipped from the bottom of this post:
> "or the test suite results are shoddy or something."
>
>   When we build gcc is it really necessary to run the test suite?
> When we run the test suite are we testing for build bugs or
> some type of traditional source code bugs?
>
>    Are their build bugs which are not reported as obvious errors?

I would want to verify that my build works as expected, by comparing
with results reported by others.  Also, when I am building for an
infrequently reported target, I post results in the hope that someone
will make use of them, either for fixes, to verify their own builds, or
to inform me of improvements.
Lately, I have chosen not to incorporate known fixes (mostly for
testsuite bugs on secondary targets) which aren't accepted into
mainline, assuming that others will build the same way, should they
choose to compare.