Re: More info: Binary built on different platforms with exact same tools different?

On 12/17/07, Rick Mann <rmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Dec 17, 2007, at 4:59 PM, NightStrike wrote:
>
> > Why would binaries on different platforms be identical?
>
> The toolchain on each host platform is built with identical steps,
> from the same source distro, targetting an embedded Xscale processor.
>
> The source code does not use any OS APIs, just some things in newlib
> (built as part of the toolchain).
>
> The resulting binary should, in theory, be identical, regardless of
> the host platform.

Ah, you are cross compiling.  I misunderstood.  So on both platforms,
you are building a cross compiler, gcc 4.2  You are then using that
cross compiler that you build on each platform to build your program,
and the resulting executable is different.

Hmm....  Interesting scenario.