Re: GCC does not build gfortran !!

On 12/7/07, Martin Krischik <krischik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Zitat von Sampath Koppole <sampathkoppole@xxxxxxxxx>:
>
> > Dear all,
> > When I try to build my gcc (version 4.2.2) it does not
> > build gfortran.
>
> In the past The GNU Ada Project created Fortran just for the fun of it
> - but we have given up on it - not because we don't like Fortran or
> compiling Fortran is troublesome.
>
> No it's because of GMP and MPFR. Fortran now needs those two libraries
> to be installed. And those two are a real pain in the arse. If your
> distribution hasn't got them I pity you.

If you put the gmp and mpfr source in subdirectories of the gcc tree,
gcc will build them automatically for you and you don't have to worry
about anything.  I do this on 5 different build platforms, and it
works superbly.

You can put this in a script:

cd gcc

wget -qO- ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gmp/gmp-4.2.2.tar.bz2 | tar xjf - &&
mv gmp-4.2.2 gmp

wget -qO- http://www.mpfr.org/mpfr-current/mpfr-2.3.0.tar.bz2 | tar
xjf - && mv mpfr-2.3.0 mpfr

The rest is seemless.  You don't even need to use the --with-gmp and
--with-mpfr options.  It's wonderful.