Re: New Build Error On gcc-4.1.2

Hi Thomas,

Thomas Dineen wrote:
>   I get the following error when building gcc-4.1.2 on my Solaris 8 Sparc
> System:
>
> "WARNING: `makeinfo' is missing on your system.  You should only need it if
>         you modified a `.texi' or `.texinfo' file, or any other file
>         indirectly affecting the aspect of the manual.  The spurious
>         call might also be the consequence of using a buggy `make' (AIX,
>         DU, IRIX).  You might want to install the `Texinfo' package or
>         the `GNU make' package.  Grab either from any GNU archive site.
[snipped]
>  - By the way makeinfo is installed on the system!
> root@Sun# makeinfo --version
> makeinfo (GNU texinfo) 4.0

The autoconf-make-run of building gcc depends heavily on make's
facilities to distinguish between files have to be build or rebuilt.
Especially the rebuilt, as it was mentioned in the above text ("... you
modified a '.texi'..") file will be triggered by changed
date-time-stamps of the desired files. If you made a touch or even copy
the file manually it will get a new timestamp and make will recognize to
rebuilt the target depending on this file. So, have a look at the
underlying files yielding this error.
And, of course, have a look if makeinfo is callable in the path of your
_build_-environment.

Ciao, Georg