Re: reduce compilation times?

Duft Markus wrote:
You didn't get the question: i was asking if a *change* in a header is
recognized to affect a *certain* .cpp file, not how make handles
dependencies and updates targets. Micorosft recognizes that a change in
a certain struct inside a header file may not require a recompilation of
a certain .cpp file if it doesn't use that struct. Thats what i asked
for.
Sounds like a nice feature, but honestly, I'm a bit paranoid, most of the time when I edit header files I just do a "make clean" first anyways. In a lot of our smaller SDKs, we often do a clean as part of the "code/test/verify" cycle. It's just simpler to make sure everything is fresh then have some lingering files that weren't picked up properly in a makefile. On the larger projects we only clean if the headers change for obvious reasons.

But I can't say honestly that I spend more time editing header files than source files.
Tom