Re: Errors issued while building GCC

On 28/11/2007, Dave Korn <dave.korn@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 28 November 2007 10:29, Ankur Gupta wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am newly assigned to GNU CC work. I am using Win-xp-sp2 and Cygwin to
> > build GCC. I have successfully installed the 'binutils', but while building
> > GCC below errors are being issued:
>
>   These kinds of minor issues in building or using the compiler really belong
> on the gcc-help list; this list is intended for ongoing development work on
> the internals of the compiler itself.  However, since you're here...

I humbly think this encourages the wrong behaviour. People that don't
bother to look for the correct list, typically don't bother to edit
the CC fields, so you end up with their replies in gcc again. This
case is even worse, since he posted to both lists! And he got the
answer here, so he actually was right doing what he did.

I would like to propose that, as a rule of thumb, if you wish to
answer the question, first check the gcc-help archives whether it has
been answered already, if not, then the answer must be posted to
gcc-help and never to the gcc list. Of course this doesn't apply if
you reply but don't answer the question.

Cheers,

Manuel.