Installation Instructions / Problems with building gcc 4.2.1

Dear Tim, dear gcc-help team,

Tim Prince wrote in reply to my mail:
> __________________________
>>
>> Then, i downloaded the sources, and did ./configure and make. But make
>> failed.
> ____________________________--
> where the instructions say you must configure in a clean directory.

It required a google search to find the installation instructions,
pointing me to http://gcc.gnu.org/install/

I really think a link to that page should be part of either the README
file on top of the source directory, or of the INSTALL/README file! Or you
might provide a plain text version of the installation instructions in the
sources --- probably in one of these README files.

Anyway. Assume that it really was a mistake to do "./configure" and
"make" in the source directory.

I removed the old source (= old object) directory after saying "make
distclean", unpacked the sources again, created a _different_ object
directory (not a subdirectory of the sources), did configure there, and
said "make". This is how i understood the installation instructions.

But still, the building did not finish successfully.

As before, it complains that it can't find stubs-32.h
The last words are like that:

In file included from /usr/include/features.h:346,
                 from /usr/include/stdio.h:28,
                 from /usr/local/gcc-4.2.1/gcc/tsystem.h:90,
                 from /usr/local/gcc-4.2.1/gcc/crtstuff.c:68:
/usr/include/gnu/stubs.h:7:27: error: gnu/stubs-32.h: Datei oder
Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
make[5]: *** [32/crtbegin.o] Fehler 1
make[5]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/gccbuild/gcc'
make[4]: *** [extra32] Fehler 2
make[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/gccbuild/gcc'
make[3]: *** [stmp-multilib] Fehler 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/gccbuild/gcc'
make[2]: *** [all-stage1-gcc] Fehler 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/gccbuild'
make[1]: *** [stage1-bubble] Fehler 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/gccbuild'
make: *** [all] Fehler 2

Yours
	Simon