Re: Howto compile gcc-3.3.6 with gcc-4.1?

Clemens Eisserer wrote:

> Because I would like to build the recently released openjdk (and also
> some still closed parts like the browser-plugin and some
> motif-components) I would need a gcc-3.3 installation on my Fedora7
> box.

Newer gcc versions are more stringent about rejecting invalid code than
older versions.  Thus it's sometimes impossible to build an old gcc with
a new gcc.  The solution is to build 3.4 (or some other intermediate
version) with 4.1 and then use that to build 3.3.  In previous Fedora
releases you didn't even have to do this as there was a "compat-gcc-34"
package.

As far as multiple versions are concerned, you can install as many gccs
as you want, just give each one its own --prefix.

> However compiling gcc-3.3.6 with gcc-4.1.0 does not work, gcc-4.1
> generates a lot of warnings and finally bails out with:
> f/com.c: Auf höchster Ebene:
> f/com.c:11080: Fehler: In Konflikt stehende Typen für »ffecom_gfrt_basictype«
> f/com.h:236: Fehler: Vorherige Deklaration von »ffecom_gfrt_basictype« war hier
> make[1]: *** [f/com.o] Fehler 1

FYI, when posting to English mailing lists it's probably a good idea to
invoke commands as "LC_ALL=C make ..." as you will get untranslated
versions of the messages.

Brian