gcc 64-bit (assembly) information

I had to see gdb disassembled output to figure out how
gcc passes parameter to functions calls.

it seems it passes them in register instead of using the
stack as its 32-bit counter part does.

now I wonder is there documentation that defines how
this is done?

is there a threshold of how many parameter it can pass
this way before using the stack or some other means?

best regards
Katana Steel
-- as life grows older, I gain experience.