Re: help building gcc-4.2.1 with GMP and MPFR updates

Warren L Dodge wrote:

> I want to build the gcc using these newer
> versions. I have tried a number of ways to accomplish this but the bootstrap
> build seems to not find my newer version in the later build pass.

Why can't you actually tell us these numerous ways instead of being so
vague?  How can we help when we have no idea what you've tried already?

> Has someone else done this?

Of course they have.

> Does anyone know how I might accomplish this?

Whatever --prefix you specify when configuring gmp and mpfr, that's what
you should specify to --with-gmp and --with-mpfr.  As long as you're
consistent you can locate them whereever you want.

If you built shared versions of the libraries (default on linux) you'll
need to add ${prefix}/lib to LD_LIBRARY_PATH before you start the gcc
configure, otherwise binaries that link to the libraries will fail to
initialize at runtime.  Alternatives: edit /etc/ld.so.conf to search
${prefix}/lib by default; or configure the libraries --disable-shared
--enable-static (not recommended.)

> It seems like the two libraries should each be built as part of the gcc
> build itself. This way they are installed in the gcc include/lib directories
> during the process.

You can also bootstrap the libraries with the compiler.  To do that just
extract the gmp and mpfr source tarballs into the gcc source tree, and
rename them as just gmp/ and mpfr/.  If you do this you always get
static-only versions of the libs so you don't have to worry about
LD_LIBRARY_PATH or installing them with the toolchain.

Brian