Re: new gcc compiler for pdp10 architecture

Martin Chaney <chaney@xxxxxxx> writes:

> I've been working on a version of the gcc compiler for the PDP10
> architecture for some while now and since it's approaching the stage of
> being generally usable, my managers and I have agreed that it's time to
> make its existence known.  It may be a good while before things are at a
> state where my changes can be folded back into the general development
> tree, but I'd like to start laying the groundwork for that eventuality
> and discussing with the relevant folks how best to capture the PDP10
> dependencies so that my customizations can be limited to the expected
> places.  The PDP10 is an unusual architecture in many respects and to
> get the compiler to function has required customization through much of
> the code that would normally be considered machine independent.
>
> My port is currently based on the GCC4.1.1 distribution.  There are a
> handful of testsuite tests that fail that I hope to debug before rolling
> forward to the 4.2.1 release.  My experience so far has been that
> advancing the base version can cause significant problems and of course
> one goal of folding my changes back into the base is to alleviate this
> problem.
>
> Comments, advice, suggestions about who I should be corresponding with
> are all welcome.  You're welcome to respond to me either directly or on
> the relevant gcc list.  I'm now subscribed to gcc, gcc-help and
> gcc-announce.

Thanks for thinking of us.

The first step is to make sure that your FSF copyright assignment is
in order.  That is required for all contributions to gcc.

Extensive customization of the machine independent code is going to be
problematic.  Presumably you are doing this using target hooks.  You
are going to have to get each such change submitted and approved
individually.  Expect to see some pushback at this point, and
suggestions for different ways to do things.  Patches should be sent
to gcc-patches@xxxxxxxxxxx with a ChangeLog entry.

Then, when you are ready to contribute the port, send the
configuration patches and new files to gcc-patches@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Include a ChangeLog entry.  The port will need a maintainer; you can
volunteer for this job, and get the steering committee to approve you.
I'm not on the committee, but they are likely to approve you as a port
maintainer if the port is clean, works well, and follows gcc coding
conventions and coding standards.

Then, after the port is contributed, you should arrange to regularly
run the testsuite and report the results to the gcc-testresults
mailing list.  There are some scripts around to help with this.

Hope this helps.

Ian