Re: yacc Error when building GCC from source tar (version 4.1.2)

Paul Hartman wrote:

> My question is I don't want to install Bison since I am having a hard enough
> time getting GCC to compile so how can I make my timestamps correct to fix
> this issue or can I get a newer version of plural.y to fix this issue.

It is indeed odd that it would be trying to rebuild .y files if you used
a release tarball.  The normal causes are networked filesystems or using
a SVN checkout.  But if you are using a release tarball and a local
filesystem there should be no problem with timestamps.

It's possible that the way you unpacked the tarball also corrupted the
timestamps.  For example if you used the -m/--touch tar option, or if
you copied the source files using 'cp' without an option to preserve
timestamps like -a or -p.

Since the error comes up in the intl dir you could use --disable-nls as
a workaround, but then gcc will only be able to output warning/error
messages in the C locale, i.e. untranslated English.  I don't know if
that's a concern or not.

> # which yacc
> /usr/bin/yacc

The problem is not that you don't have yacc, it's that bison (version
1.28 or higher) is required if the .y files need to be rebuilt.

Brian