Re: Optimized program four times slower.

Tim Prince a écrit :
Also note that gcc 4.3 with -O2 is smart enough to recognise that
neither of these loops do anything and remove them both entirely:
I don't have sufficient memory to recall whether the gcc version, hardware, or compile flags information was in the original post. If you are running on a machine where the sequence dec ebx; jns is subject to a partial flags stall, that might be an explanation. If you used an up to date gcc (evidently not), and wrote a loop which was not trivial to remove (evidently not), and got such code when specifying -march for a machine which doesn't like that sequence, this would be a bug for which you should file a PR. Note that dec, rather than add -1, has been a standard way to write code which might be OK on AMD but dead slow on Intel, since 6 years ago.

Thanks for your explanations. I have tried with option -march=pentium4 but
there is no improvment in this case. I will try again when I install gcc 4.x

Sebastien