malformed object, illegal reference

I have a problem with Apple's GCC 4.0.1 on PPC. I'm trying to compile
some generated C code (from an Eiffel compiler), however in the linking
stage I get tons of those errors:

/usr/bin/ld:
/Applications/MacPorts/Eiffel60/precomp/spec/macosx-ppc/EIFGENs/vision2/W_code/preobj.o
malformed object, illegal reference (reference to a symbol stub not at
the start of the stub from section (__TEXT,__text) relocation entry
(2278722))

Since I have no idea what this error could possibly mean, I'm asking
here. It should be noted that preobj.o is larger than 100 MB. The
compiler has been given the following options: -O0 -fno-common -fPIC
-mlongcall . Is there some kind of size limit on .o files ? I suspect it
has something to do with -mlongcall (which is necessary, it will run
into a different error if omitted).

Any ideas ?

Jann