Re: Help compiling 4.3.0

Lee Rhodes wrote:

> When trying to configure 4.3.0 it tells me that I need GMP 4.1+ and MPFR
> 2.2.1+. Yet under Cygwin the libraries appear as dlls and named as
> cygmp*.dll and cygmpfr*.dll.  How do I get the configure script to recognize
> them?

The short answer: you probably didn't select the right packages.  You
need to install the -devel packages.

Long answer: The name of the DLLs is not the problem here.  All shared
libraries on Cygwin have the 'cyg' prefix.  The configure script isn't
recognizing them because having just the DLL is not enough; and the
configure check isn't even looking for a DLL anyway, it's looking for
headers.

Libraries in most *nix distros and on Cygwin are split into multiple
packages, usually between runtime components and developer components.
The former contains parts needed to *run* programs built with the
library, usually only the binary library itself (.so/.dll).  The latter
contains parts necessary to *build* a program that uses that library,
typically headers, import libs/static libs, m4 macros, etc.  This split
is done so that typical users can install just the library, and not the
developer files.  It's also done so that multiple ABI versions of the
library can coexist for binary compatibility.

In the case of the Cygwin distro, there are the following packages:

gmp
libgmp3
libgmp-devel

mpfr
libmpfr0
libmpfr1
libmpfr-devel

This follows the standard packaging method where 'libfoo<n>' contains
just the runtime foo library of ABI version <n>, and libfoo-devel
contains the foo developer parts.  The package named just foo usually
contains documentation and manpages.

Brian