Re: Help compiling gcc 4.2.0

Lee,

Now I'm more jealous than ever.  Say much more, and I'll turn green with
envy. While Tamino builds gcc, he uses the "top" command to monitor: CPU
use, RAM use, virtual-storage use, and other factors.  During a gcc
build, the UltraSarc-2e processor is usually 90 to 100 percent busy.
And poor, ancient Tamino divides his time among about 80 processes, most
of which are sleeping.  There's a lot to be said for having to brains. :)

Bill

> Bill,
>   I did limit the build to C/C++ and the testsuite only.  In case you are
> interested, I did the build on my HP xw8000, which has dual Xeon 3GHz
CPUs,
> 3.4 GB RAM, and 10K rpm hard disks.  However, I did not use the SMP
"make -j
> 2 bootstrap" option and I limited the RAM available to cygwin to 1GB (The
> upper limit for cygwin is 1.5GB).  Nonetheless, during the build both CPUs
> were pretty busy at 60%-80% and RAM usage hovered around 800MB.  Next time
> I'll up the memory limit to the max and also monitor virtual memory
size and
> page faults.  Since both CPUs were pretty busy I doubt that the -j switch
> would change much.
>
> Lee.

Please visit a saintly hero:
http://www.jakemoore.org