Re: Strange behaviour of gcc on my 64-bit Pentium Core 2 Duo

Ravi kumar wrote:

> I tried to compile gcc on my machine running Ubuntu-7.04 AMD-64
> (linux), but the make stops in the middle and says, it can't find
> <gnu/stubs-32.h>.

This is way too vague a report.  Post the *exact* configure and make
commands that you used and the *exact* error message.  Copy and paste,
do not summarize!

By default gcc will try to build a multilib configuration, which means
both 32 and 64 bit versions of the target libraries.  This will fail if
you do not have both 32 and 64 bit libc and libc-dev packages installed.

I think some have also mentioned that the library directory scheme used
by debian/ubuntu (where /usr/lib is actually lib64 and /usr/lib32 is the
32 bit location -- the opposite of pretty much the entire rest of the
planet) causes problems with gcc's multilib configuration.  On those
distros gcc is patched to match this layout, but if you're building
stock FSF gcc it will fail.  The workaround is to --disable-multilib,
and then if you want a 64 bit compiler use --target=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu,
and --target=i686-pc-linux-gnu for a 32 bit target.  Or stick to the
debian-patched gcc.

Brian