Re: where is the string literal allocated ? On the stack ?

Rask Ingemann Lambertsen wrote:
On Fri, Apr 20, 2007 at 10:54:14AM -0500, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
Right, it lives in one of the read-only segments. As noted in my other message it can't live on the stack or foo() would be broken, and it isn't (except for the return type missing the 'const' qualifier which is VERY broken).

   GCC used to have -fwritable-strings, but this option was removed for GCC
4.0.

And thank the GNU for that! -fwrite-strings was an abomination that only existed to support broken code. (Some of which I had to un-break... one of the products I work on *relied* on it until I unilaterally decided we needed to stop doing that*. Sigh, the joys of code written before 'const' was standardized.)

(* IIRC the fact that it was deprecated meant that people weren't inclined to disagree with the decision :-). And now, indeed, it *is* gone, so I'm on solid footing backing it up as the /right/ decision even without the technical reasons.)

--
Matthew
<insert bad pun... on second thought, better not>