Re: need help for GCC--RTL

Klaus Friedrich <klaus-fried@xxxxxxx> writes:

> For my diploma thesis, i will work with the gcc4.1 internals. I would
> like to extract information about the RTL
> language. I search for a description of the virtual machine/virtual
> processor on the RTL instruction set and for example the register
> management/alignment.
>
> I can't find exakt information about the meaning for the RTL
> constructs. For Example the meaning for this reg expression [D.1281] in
> (reg:SI 58 [D.1281]) or the meaning for virtual-stack-vars in
> (reg/f:SI 54 virtual-stack-vars).

The [D.1281] refers to the variable associated with that register.  In
this case I can tell by the name that it is a GIMPLE temporary
register.  If you use -fdump-tree-final_cleanup and look in the dump
file you will see the last GIMPLE code before the expansion into RTL.
You should see D.1281 in that code.

virtual-stack-vars is a pseudo register which points to the first
local variable on the stack frame.  It is only used for a little
while, and is eliminated by pass_instantiate_virtual_regs.

> I also information about the (clobber (reg:CC 17 flags)) expr. What do
> the clobber function with the reg 17 ?

What can I say: it clobbers it.  See the RTL documentation.

Ian