Re: Multiprocessor compiling

supermax9 wrote:

> My question is very simple - can I achieve a descrease of overall compiling
> time with gcc on a multiprocessor system?

gcc itself is single-threaded, so a single instance of it can not
benefit from multiple cores.  However, you can instruct make to launch
multiple jobs in parallel with the -j argument, and so assuming that
your Makefile does not contain incorrect or inaccurate dependency
relations (i.e. it is "parallel make safe"), and assuming that you have
multiple files to compile, then you can in fact take advantage of as
many cores/processors as the system has.

Brian