Re: Cross compiler build....

arpit jain kirjoitti:
Hiiiii,

I am trying to build gcc-3.x cross compiler for Ada
language for some embbedded target platform.
I have already build 1.binutils (i.e. cross assembler,cross linker)
2.newlib 1.14.0

I wanna to know:
1. Is it necessary to build newlib for Ada also bcoz i
think its for c language only?
I would assume that what Rupert Wood wrote earlier is true, the
Ada libraries will require functions from the C library!  Checking
this is easy, just write 'nm libgnat.a | less' for the host 'libgnat.a'
and see what kind of symbols will appear as 'U' (unknown). The
first 'C like function' I saw there was 'memcpy' and it was there
in 84 places :

Dell:/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i586-suse-linux9.2/3.4.6/adalib # nm libgnat.a | grep memcpy | wc -l
84

Just try to remember some common C functions and see whether
they are required in 'libgnat.a' and such.  So having the C library
too is obligatory with GNU Ada.  Also C++ and Fortran libraries
use fuctions from the C library, they aren't "stand-alone" either.

2. What are the steps to build newlib?
If you have already built newlib-1.14.0 then you already know....
Generally the steps are the usual 'configure', 'build' and 'install'.