Re: Regarding building gcc-4.1.0 cross compiler

arpit jain wrote:

>                    Myself Arpit nd I had tried build
> process of gcc cross compiler for intel I960.I am
> triying to build gcc-4.1.0 for Ada language and i have
> successfully build it as a native compiler.Now i am
> trying to build it as a cross compiler for Intel I960
> target.My host is i686-linux.
> I tried building it ur way by giving i960-unknown-coff
> as target but it shows some error as
> "i960-unknown-coff" not supported.

http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.4/changes.html#obsolete_systems

Support for the i960 was marked obsolete in the 3.4 branch and
discontinued thereafter.  This means it does not exist in any 4.x or
later version, and 3.4.6 is the last version to contain it.

> Can anyone please tell me:
>
> 1. Is it necessary to build binutils and what role
> they play in building?

Binutils contains the GNU assembler, GNU linker, and a number of other
support utilities.  Without an assembler and linker, a compiler is
useless.  After all, gcc is just a text processor, its only function is
to read source code and output assembly code.  So an assembler and
linker are not optional.  This usually means binutils is required, but
in some cases the system/vender tools can be used, i.e. on a unix
platform that has an existing assembler and linker provided by the
operating system.

Brian