Re: Build fail

> Bhaskar Reddy wrote:
>> I'm trying to build a cross compiler on i686 for i386.
>> Configure Line: configure --target=i386-linux-gnu
>>
> Here it is totally unclear what on earth is your $target !  There are
> still maybe tens of
> Linux/i386's hanging around, all more or less binary uncompatible with
> each other...
> Maybe you are going to build this "i386-linux-gnu" system from absolute
> scratch?

I named it so, by looking at the following documentation.

http://gcc.gnu.org/install/old.html

there were options like i386bsd, or "i386 can be cpu type and system type
can be linux-gnu", then is it like that i should not use target system
name as "i386-linux-gnu"

> If it is an old PC/i486 board with RHL6.2,  then telling that  would be
> quite sane.
>
> And the GCC version on the $build system is totally unclear...
>
> And the version of the GCC sources being tried is totally unclear...
>
> If wanting anyone to tell any "secrets" oh his/hers, it is quite clear
> that one cannot keep
> so many "secrets"...

Sorry for this... here are the details.
Version of GCC: GCC-4.1.1,
Version of Binutils: binutils-2.13.1
Version of Build/Host compiler : GCC 4.1.1
and i'm trying to build a cross compiler.

>> My host/build system type is: i686-pc-linux-gnu
>>
>  As was the case with the $target, this doesn't tell much about the
> host/build system...
> Fortunately this info isn't so important.  But in cases where trying
> gcc-3.2.3 sources
> with a gcc-4.1.1 build/host compiler, this info would reveal what the
> problem is...
>
>> But, i'm getting the following error messages:
>>
>> make[2]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/local/bin/i386-linux-gnu-as',
>> needed by `stamp-as'.  Stop.
>>
> If using the native 'i686-pc-linux-gnu'  host 'ar', 'as', 'ld', 'nm',
> 'ranlib' etc. the obvious configure
> command template is :
>
> AR_FOR_TARGET=ar \
> AS_FOR_TARGET=as \
> LD_FOR_TARGET=ld \
> NM_FOR_TARGET=nm \
> RANLIB_FOR_TARGET=ranlib \
> $source_dir/configure .....
>
> So telling what could be used as the tools for $target... Computers are
> stupid, everything must
> be told to them, nothing left to be "guessed"...

Yeah, actually before that, i'm trying to build binutils which would
produce suitable "as" required for i386 .

--
Bhaskar.