Is -Wall the Automatically Provided Default?

Folks,

Sorry, basic question I know...

We have a conflict here at work. Our SQA says that, when using gcc, you
have to specify warnings be used (i.e. -Wall). SQA says that if you do
not specify any warnings at compile time, then you won't get any -
except of course, in the case of actual errors which prevent successful
compile/link.

Others say that -Wall is the default. You don't even have to ask for it,
you just get it automatically. Essentially, their position is that "gcc
buildme.cpp" is the exact same thing as "gcc -Wall buildme.cpp".

Who is right?

Thank you very much,

Tony Carbonaro