Re: configure gcc to build 32-bit binaries on x86_64

natasha@xxxxxxxx writes:

 > We plan to use x86_64 linux machine to build binary code that can
 > eventually run on i386 machine. I know it's possible with -m32.
 >
 > I wonder if there is an easy way to configure/build GCC so that it would
 > produce 32-bit binaries by default?
 >
 > The reason I want this is because we build many products, and it may be
 > more difficult to implant -m32 option in every build system.

You can do this by building a custom version of gcc, with special
option processing.  Also, you can edit gcc's specs.

But I wouldn't do that: it's too much trouble to solve a trivial
problem.  Instead I'd write a script, like this:

exec /path/to/gcc -m32 $*

You can override -m32 with -m64 if you need it.

Andrew.