Re: best practices on gcc building host tool for cross arch

tmike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Folks,

I am trying to build a simple elf file parsing tool.
Tool runs on a host, but wants to be able to parse core files
from embedded architectures.
host = x86
embedded = arm

In order to parse the embedded core file, the tool needs to see
and read the embedded kernel header files.

I would guess a version of gdb that runs on a host and debugs
a different target has similar issues.

Are there any "best-practices" for configuring/building/using gcc
in this manner?

This isn't strictly a "cross-compilation" build of gcc.
Cheers,
T.mike

Hi --

I don't see why you believe that this has anything to do
with building gcc.

If your program which parses core files needs headers from
the target kernel, you can reference them in your source.
Rather than "#include <stdio.h>" which would get the host
definitions, put "#include "<target>/usr/include/stdio.h"" in
the source for your parser, where <target> is the path to a
copy of the target's root directory tree.

--
Michael Eager	 eager@xxxxxxxxxxxx
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077