Requirements for throwning C++ exceptions from one shared library to another in gcc 4.1.0?

Good evening,

Would someone know what I need to do to successfully throw C++
exceptions from one shared library to another shared library?  In
particular,

- can I use a statically-linked libstdc++ (in both libraries), or must I
use a
  a shared libstdc++ for both?

- Is there any circumstance under which I can use -static-libgcc, or
must I
  use -shared-libgcc?  The manual seems pretty clear on this, but it
doesn't
  hurt (much) to ask.

- Why is -shared-libgcc required (assuming it is)?  A pointer to source,
FAQ,
  documentation, etc. would be welcome here.  I ask this final question
only
  because I'd like to know exactly how throwing exceptions across shared

  libraries works and I'm looking for a place to start my research.

Thanks in advance for any pointers to documentation, comments, tips,
etc.

--Glenn S.