Re: insn_elision

"Bharati Bhole" <bharati.bhole@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Can anybody plz tell me what is insn_elision in .md files?
> It is mentioned in gensupport.c.

Here is the comment from gensupport.c which explains it.

  /* Discard insn patterns which we know can never match (because
     their C test is provably always false).  If insn_elision is
     false, our caller needs to see all the patterns.  Note that the
     elided patterns are never counted by the sequence numbering; it
     it is the caller's responsibility, when insn_elision is false, not
     to use elided pattern numbers for anything.  */

It may help to know that "elision" is an English word.  It means,
approximately, "omission," which means the act of removing something.
The related word is "elide," which is approximately the same as
"omit."

Ian