Re: gfortran compiler precision

miguel jiménez Zapata wrote:
Hi,

I'm a newcomer to programming!
I'm using two compilers to compile exactly the same
fortran 90 program. I'm using gfortran and visual
fortran
(shame on me!). The thing is that the numeric results
I get with these two different compilers start
differing from the 7th decimal digit. Could anybody
explain me why does this happen? I use double
precision numbers.

To complete your checking whether the difference is due to single precision slipping in somewhere, you should of course use IMPLICIT NONE to make sure you have no default real variables, and check that you have no default real constants, other than those which are exact in single precision. CVF has an option to promote constants to double in context; it may have been on by default in early versions, or it may be set by other options such as /fpscomp.