Re: Sections (.got .got2 .gcc_except_table .fixup), what are they for?

Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
Jeff Lasslett <jeff.lasslett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

I can't seem to find an explanation of the nature of the following sections:

The question may be more appropriate for the binutils@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I've now asked it there as well.

You neglected to mention your target.  It matters.

powerpc-eabi

.got

.got2

These will contain the global offset table.

.gcc_except_table

This will contain information used for unwinding the stack during
exception handling.

.fixup

The Linux kernel uses this section to record relocation information
used at run time.

Could I then expect it to be empty as I'm not using linux on my target?

To see whether the section can be stored in ROM or RAM, see whether it
is readonly.  You can do this via objdump -h or readelf -S.  A
readonly section may be stored in ROM.  Otherwise it must normally be
in RAM.

Most likely all the sections above can be stored in ROM.

Thanks for the explanation Ian.

Cheers,
	Jeff